Asian countries are developing ocean/marine science research and technology clusters in more locations away from capital cities and principle urban locations to centers along their coastlines. It is only recently that the funds are available to do this.
The central idea in the programing of the content is to put non-competing organizations together, each bringing additional resources to Ocean Science.
Training, User Groups and Demonstrations are planned to be important components.
OceanScience Asia Pacific Program has rolled out in China – through a news briefing in Beijing on August 8, 2018 to launch OceanTech (OT 2019) Program to be held in Zhejiang University’s Zhoushan Campus (for more). We target venues adjacent to academic, research and marine technology clusters, away from the traditional exhibition centers in Shanghai and Beijing. Excellent venues such as Zhoushan New Development Zone, with national status, have been identified in Chinese coastal cities, each satisfies these criteria:
- Having an existing or emerging local “ocean community”;
- Strong government support to guarantee professional visitors;
- Accessible waterfront facilities for live demonstrations;
- Creative hospitality support
China highlights: OceanScience Asia Pacific Program follows the national and local trends in the context of international and global economic and geographic environment. According to our advisers in China, issues closely monitored by the academic and administrative bodies are:
- Disaster control and rescue;
- Environmental factors that impact biodiversity and the sustainability of fisheries;
- Sea level monitoring and potential impacts to the coastal cities;
- Best practice and new technology in ocean engineering
These will be reflected in the OAP Program and we seek for the participation of international bodies to bring about continued discussions at our venues. On the trading facet, there is the government’s campaign to promote made-in-China technology and its program to incubate Chinese innovations. OAP venues provide the needed opportunities to facilitate deals and partnerships.